- Residential Services
- Business Services
- Contact us
Chartered by the Quitman City Council in 1975, the city's first library opened in a modest white frame house at Main and Lane Streets. The library joined the Northeast Texas State Library System in 1979 and in 1980 received the J. Frank Dobie Award for community service. Outgrowing its facility, a fund drive for a new building was begun in 1980 culminating with the dedication of the present 7000 sq. ft. structure, February 28, 1982, formerly occupied by First National Bank.
Accomplished through the work of many people, the cooperation of First National Bank, and with final funding underwritten by the City Council, Quitman's modern library typifies a major cultural step by and for the people of Wood County. The library again outgrew its space in 1987, and began another fundraising campaign in order to create more space for a community room and children's section.
The Thurman Shamburger Community Room and Mary Ann Woodall Children's Department wings were dedicated one year later. The Quitman Library houses nearly 30,000 articles of media and is located in the center of downtown Quitman and in the heart of Wood County.
Visit the library's website at www.quitmanlibrary.org.
P.O. Box 1677 - 202 East Goode Street
Quitman, Texas 75783